/* Google Analytics Script -----------------------------*/

January 14, 2015

Developing voice


I read something interesting some months back about how a writer can develop their voice.  (I just wish I could remember who wrote it and where I found it.)

The writer said that they develop their voice by choosing an author whose voice they admire and then copying down by hand a few pages of that author’s best work.  They said this gets the rhythm and the diction and style of the author more deeply into their consciousness.

I don’t think this is about turning into a chameleon.   I think this is about widening the range of tone a writer can access.  It gives you the ability to create characters that have their own distinct style.  That’s pretty powerful. 

I can remember once after reading Pride and Prejudice to my grandma, I went and wrote in my journal and found Austen’s diction flowing out my pen.  Rather fun.

No comments: