/* Google Analytics Script -----------------------------*/

May 12, 2012

Glacierview (fiction)

This sketch has certain flaws, but the idea behind it still tickles me.  I like the idea of setting up a ridiculous situation and revealing it piece by piece through bare conversation.



"Glacierview Hotel, can I help you?"

"Um, yes, I wanted to confirm I have a reservation for a room?"

"Which room number was that, do you remember?"

"No, not really; I just assumed you'd remember."

"Well, we have the computer keep track of that. What’s your last name?”

“Paxton.”

“Hmm, the computer says you've vacationed here before."

"Yep, had a great time too."

"And you put in a request a year in advance for the same room that you enjoyed before, correct?"
"I believe so.”

"Unfortunately, Mr. Paxton, that request is impossible to fulfill."

"You gave my reservation away? But I made it so far in advance!"

"No, we didn't exactly give it away.  No.  It was sort of…taken."
"By--"

"The glacier.  You know, Glacierview?  The name of this establishment?"

"Oh yes, that makes sense.  I was wondering why there was a wall of ice and snow just ten feet outside my window then.  My kids loved it, though; they had an indoor snowball fight every day.."

"For which damage you paid most generously."

"Flimsy furnishings, I call it."

"Anyway, that room, in fact that entire wing, has been smeared away by the glacier.  Just last month, it was.  BUT!  We anticipated that and immediately began building the next wing on the side of the hotel furthest from the glacier."

"Wait, hasn't this happened several times before?  I remember reading about it in a news magazine back home.  How many new wings have been added onto the hotel since it was first opened?"

"Oh, about ten."

"Ten?"

"Yeah, our hotel is forced to become a bit of a glacier itself, in order to survive." 

(submitted to ANWA newsletter Sept 2016)

No comments: