/* Google Analytics Script -----------------------------*/

September 1, 2017

Chapter synopses as a writing tool


Writing a synopsis of your story is generally one of the last things that you may do in preparation for submitting query letters to agents, but I really think the synopsis is an indispensable writing tool for the author as they go through the process of revision. It might even be an important tool for use as you’re writing the last half of your book.

I’ve written elsewhere about how making a reverse outline of each chapter helps me know what I’ve written. (The reverse outline is essentially a chapter synopsis.) It helps me evaluate how much conflict I have, what kind of tension I’ve included, what promises I am making to my reader, etc.

In my big climactic court scene where all my characters argue back and forth about what happened and why, I can use my synopsis document (which I have been building all along) to quickly make lists of things 1) that characters should argue about, 2) that characters can say to rebut and defend themselves, 3) of evidence they can show, etc. I want my characters to have the strongest arguments possible, and the synopsis helps me find and collect those points together because I have usually forgotten some. (Of course, my characters will look like they have brilliant memories, but they have to be brilliant when their lives and freedom are at stake!)

When I gather all those chapter synopses up in one document, they become a short-hand version of my book that I can use as a reference document as I revise. I don’t have time to get distracted reading through my book to find where the dragon has built the terraces on his hillside. I can find that in my synopsis document. (This synopsis is not what I’d submit to agents, by the way. This is a version for me to use.) Then I can use the working synopsis document to figure out what other later scenes I need to add mentions of the terraces to give a better sense of setting for the reader. (And of course I make notes of what needs to be added and where.)

Finally, even though I’m not quite to that point yet, the synopsis document can become a transitional step between the book and the real synopsis that is put together for a query letter.  It’s nothing more than summarizing the synopsis, distilling it down further until it is in a short enough form to submit.

The process goes like this:
1) Write chapters
2) Write each chapter synopsis
3) Gather chapter synopses into one document  (use for revisions)
4) Update working synopsis document
5) Summarize several chapter synopses together and repeat through story
6) (check length)
7) If still too long, summarize further until length is appropriate.



No comments: