/* Google Analytics Script -----------------------------*/

June 3, 2017

A Revision Technique for Cutting Out Wordiness


I have a tendency to be wordy and redundant in my first drafts.  So how do I deal with this in revision?  What helps me cut my beautiful words that I worked so hard to bleed from my brain? How do I do this without worrying that I'll lose anything important?

Identify, Isolate, Highlight, Analyze, Cut, Reassess.  Those are the steps. (No, they don't make a cute little acronym.  I.I.H.A.C.R.  Yuck. Sounds like a cross between a cough and hacking a loogie.)

Identify

One strategy I’ve found is to find (or ask beta readers to find and highlight) the wordy places where they think it could be tightened up. 

Other times I can find it myself by noticing the paragraph sections that I inexplicably skip reading.  If I notice I want to skim, that’s a pretty good indication it needs to be tightened/eliminated.

Isolate

Next, highlight the section in question. It feels a lot more do-able to condense a section that is visibly marked.  The highlight tells your subconscious brain that for the next 10 minutes that area is your sandbox and anything can happen there. Deletions. Re-ordering.  Rewording. Additions, even. (gasp)

Keep it between 5-8 paragraphs long. If it's longer than a page, it is harder to work with.

Be sure to record how many words long the section is. This gives you a number to compare at the end so you can see how much you’ve condensed.

Highlight the Essentials

Print out a copy of the highlighted section, then pull out your highlighter marker.  (If you used a highlighter marker in the “Isolate” step, you’ll have to change to a different color in this step.)

Read through and highlight the words that represent the bare essentials of what is important to the story in that section.  Don’t highlight sentences, just single words or short phrases. This tells you what story elements definitely stay in.  Highlight beautiful wording only if it is particularly vivid.

I find it helpful to focus on action words--what the characters actually do. That is usually essential.

Analyze For Patterns

Are any of the highlighted sections similar? They can be brought together to create more punch.

Does the order make sense, or should it be reorganized?

Cut the Fat

Large sections that aren’t highlighted are fair game for cutting. Notice redundancy and eliminate it. (Like when the hero winks or smiles multiple times, or the heroine takes her second and third deep breath.)
Slash.
Burn.
Re-jigger wording.
Massage sentences.

You can’t cut everything that is un-highlighted because you need sentences to string the essentials together, but you’ll be surprised how much you can cut.

Reassess the Result

You’ll have to read through it at least once to make sure it still makes sense.

Once you’re done, check how many words you have left and compare it to your starting word count. 

Congratulations! You have cut like a pro, keeping what works, and getting rid of what doesn’t. Your prose should now be a concentrated distillation of emotional awesomeness with maximum impact.

No comments: